Author: Atarah al'Norahn
He has stout shoulders and a lantern jaw (TSR, Ch. 44).
When Jon gives orders, he wants them done right the first time, and done right away (TGH, Ch. 7).
- The Village Council meets at the Winespring Inn the day before Bel Tine. Jon Thane glances at Rand and Mat as they carry barrels of cider and brandy into the cellar (TEotW, Ch. 2).
- Jon Thane is part of the watch that Emond's Field organizes. As Moiraine and Lan are leaving Emond's Field with the others, they stop and hide while Jon peers into the windows of the Winespring Inn and then announces that everything "looks right here" (TEotW, Ch. 10).
- Before an attack on Emond's Field, Jon Thane and a man that Perrin doesn't recognize encounter one Trolloc and are injured. Jon receives a wound to his ribs (TSR, Ch. 44).
- Jon's mill is burned by Trollocs (TSR, Ch. 56).
- During the huge battle against the Trollocs at Emond's Field, Jon Thane and Samel Crawe have charge east of the Winespring Inn. Perrin speaks to them briefly before the Trollocs arrive (TSR, Ch. 56).
- Tam tells Rand that they might be able to restart their flock with stock from Oren Dautry or Jon Thane (TEotW, Ch. 9).
- One of the horses that Lan bought for the journey from Emond's Field is Cloud, who belonged to Jon Thane. Cloud is an incredibly fast horse, and Jon Thane often races him against merchant's horses; he has never been known to lose. Rand thinks to himself that Lan must have paid Jon a lot of money for the horse (TEotW, Ch. 10).
"The footsteps halted before the inn in the grayness just beyond the dim light from the common-room windows. It was not until Jon Thane stepped forward, a spear propped on his stout shoulder, an old jerkin sewn all over with steel disks straining across his chest, that Rand saw them for what they were. A dozen men from the village and the surrounding farms, some with helmets or pieces of armor that had lain dust-covered in attics for generations, all with a spear or a woodaxe or a rusty bill." (The Eye of the World, Chapter 10)
"She sounded like Master Thane ordering the men at the mill. You know how Master Thane is, all full of snap and do it right the first time, and do it right now." (Rand to Perrin about Leane and Jon Thane; The Great Hunt, Chapter 7)
"Where the hedge of stakes ran beyond the few houses east of the Winespring Inn, Jon Thane and Samel Crawe had charge between them. Perrin told them what he had Abell, and once again got much the same reply. Jon, in a mail shirt with holes rusted through in several places, had seen the smoke of his mill burning, and Samel, with his horse face and long nose, was sure he had seen the smoke of his farm. Neither expected an easy day, but both wore stony determination like cloaks." (The Shadow Rising, Chapter 56)