Melaine is a Wise One Dreamwalker of the Jhirad Sept of the Goshien Aiel (TSR, Ch. 12) who is able to channel (TSR, Ch. 23). She is handsome with red gold hair, with green hair and appears only fifteen years older than Egwene (TSR, Ch. 23; Ch. 36)
Strengths and Talents
- Melaine can channel. Her strength is referenced as being approximately the same as Amys, Theodrin and Faolain (ACoS, Ch. 10). Amys is separately referenced as being as strong as any Aes Sedai Egwene has met, i.e. Elaida, Siuan or Moiraine (LoC, Ch. 25).
- She is a Dreamwalker. Of the four living at the start of the Shadow Rising, she and Amys are the strongest (TSR, Ch. 23).
- She is the last of the four Dreamwalkers to agree to Rand going to Rhuidean and the last to allow Mat (TSR, Ch. 23).
- Before meeting with the Aes Sedai, she did not know how to Heal (TSR, Ch. 34).
- Rand thinks she would be Green if she was an Aes Sedai (TSR, Ch. 50).
- She and the other Wise Ones spy on Rand in his dreams and are not pleased when he blocks them (TFoH, Ch. 4).
- She did not think it right that Rand ordered Moiraine about (TFoH, Ch. 14).
- She used segade blossoms in her bridal wreath, to signify that she has a prickly nature and means to keep it (TFoH, Ch. 21).
- She stays with the other Dreamwalkers rather than her own sept after crossing the Dragonwall (LoC, Ch. 15).
- She meets with Egwene and the Windfinders and discusses the possibility of an alliance between the three groups (ToM, Ch. 36).
- She aids in the fight against the Black Ajah (ToM, Ch. 38).
- She is too close to term to fight in the Last Battle so helps out in Mayene (AMoL, Ch. 33)
She is pregnant with twins who she intends to name Egwene and Min.
- Along with Bair, Amys and Seana, she sends the Aiel over the Dragonwall, personally harrying Rhuarc out of his hold (TDR, Ch. 39).
- She is on Chaendaer to meet Rand when he arrives through the Portal Stone (TSR, Ch. 23).
- She starts to teach Egwene Dreamwalking (TSR, Ch. 23).
- She flushes with embarassment when Bair says that perhaps the Aiel are meant to serve the Aes Sedai again (TSR, Ch. 35).
- With the other Dreamwalkers, she tells Aviendha to stay close to Rand (TSR, Ch. 35)
- The others suggest she marries Bael when she tells them how infuriating she finds him. She asks them to approach Dorindha for her (TFoH, Ch. 50).
- She dreams of having a baby (TFoH, Ch. 7)
- She accompanies Egwene when she meets with Nynaeve (TFoH, Ch. 14).
- She marries Bael (TFoH, Ch. 21)
- She meet with the Salidar Aes Sedai in Tel'aran'rhiod (LoC, Ch. 15).
- She Dreams of Rand (LoC, Ch. 19).
- She goes with Rand to Caemlyn to be with Bael (LoC, Ch. 19)
- She is not present when Egwene pays her toh to the others (LoC, Ch. 33)
- She is present with Rand in Caemlyn when Min arrives. Min tells her she will have “twins like mirrors”. She decides to name one of the children after Min (LoC, Ch. 41)
- She is present when the Aes Sedai try to intimidate Rand with the Mirror of Mists (LoC, Ch. 49)
- She meets Egwene in Tel'aran'rhiod and tells her she has no toh to her (LoC, Ch. 52).
- Egwene meets with her and the other Dreamwalkers to tell them she has been raised Amyrlin and warns them to be wary of Moghedien (ACoS, Ch. 10)
- Melaine, Amys and Bair question Aviendha and tell her she will be punished for going scouting as she is not yet a Wise One (TGS, Ch. 3).
- Melaine, Amys and Bair are present when Rand meets with the Clan chiefs and tells them his plan for Arad Doman (TGS, Ch. 7).
- Melaine tells Aviendha that she can channel better than most Aes Sedai and asks her opinion on Rand's plan for the Merchant Council (TGS, Ch. 11).
- Melaine tells Aviendha that it is not her poor teaching that causes Rand to treat the Clan Chiefs like Wetlander kings (TGS, Ch. 11).
- Aviendha tells Amys, Bair and Melaine that she is ready to become a Wise One (TGS, Ch. 23).
- Melaine is with Cadsuane when Nynaeve arrives to tell them what happened at Natrin's Barrow (TGS, Ch. 37).
“A strong mind and a strong heart are your weapons now, but you hold them as surely as you ever held a spear. Remember them, use them, and they will see you through anything” (To Aviendha, (The Shadow Rising, Chapter 23).
“Bael. . . He has always been a stubborn, infuriating man, yet now he is beyond all bounds.' Sometimes I want to thump his head with a stick.” (The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 5).
“There is a pile of sand near my tent, You will search it grain by grain until you find one red grain. If it is not the one I seek, you will have to begin again. Go now.” (To Cowinde, The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 15)
“They must be taken by the scruff of the neck and taught honor though they weep for it.” (About the Aes Sedai, Lord of Chaos, Chapter 49).